Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gardening randoms...

There's good sweat and then there's bad sweat....bad sweat is when you're just sitting around, sweating.  Good sweat comes from busting your ass for something that you want to make better. 
I spent 2 hours in the back yard last night, spiffing up the white trash palace.  Its a good way to wear yourself out and also feel accomplished at the same time.  Looking out from my deck over the yard and seeing a stick free, newly mowed and weed whacked lawn brings me a sense of peace.  It also felt good to reconnect with nature after being locked in the box all day. I'm actually finally starting to grow grass which in and of itself is amazing...its only taken 6 years to get more grass than dirt or moss. 
I'm patiently awaiting the calendulas to show themselves to me...there's buds on most of the plants and I sit and talk to them when no one is listening! Its the first time growing them and I'm dying to see what they're actually going to look like.  They will be made into various salves and balms to cure a variety of skin issues, from bug bits to rashes and they may also end up in shampoo for highlighting blond hair. 
The peppermint is coming along slowly but surely...for a while i thought i was the only person on the face of the Earth who could kill mints, but they have proven me wrong. The peppermint will become a tincture for uneasy tummys and hopefully ill have some left over to make into tea as well.
I had a moment of excitement when i realized that i could finally identify what the catnip actually is.  This will please the cats and will also be made into a tincture for those sleepless nights I sometimes get.
I was also pestered by some disgruntled hummingbirds while i was out there.  i was glad to see them again..they had been MIA since we had an excessive amount of rain a few weeks ago.  of course, they were slightly put out to find their feeder empty but the pigs had sucked the last of their food down quite fast this last time and i havent had a change to made them some more.  I have flower galore on the deck, so i have faith that they will not starve between now and then i made the food later today.
Needless to say i am over excited and probably getting a little obsessed with my garden this year.  But i guess that's OK, obsession over something that is good and worthwhile cant be a bad thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment