Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Lammas!

I kind of feel like I started celebrating Lammas starting Friday night....quite accidentally! I had planned on hitting up the farmers market Saturday to pick up whatever looked good and use it in a feast at some point this weekend.  Then Friday night, my husband decided to make meatballs and yells from across the house....did you plant parsley??  Why, yes...yes I did...and that turned into, let me pick some oregano and basil for those meatballs as well...I was just tickled pink to have herbs I grew myself used in something he was making.  And they were fantastic!

Saturday we did get to the farmer's market....getting fresh corn, a cucumber, garlic, blueberries and a sun flower.  I try to keep a small bit of seasonal decoration on my kitchen table, so that's where the sun flower went...it looks quite happy there.  Luckily I had a vase big enough to keep it from falling over!  We spent the rest of the day at the Northern Narragansett Indian powwow, which was very interesting!  It was nice to zone out and hear the drums and chanting.  We also felt very spiritually cleansed since they had sage burning all day long and it was wafting over the whole field.  I ended up buying some from one of the Indians...I'm looking forward to burning it in the house. We had quite the feast again for dinner when we got home, the fresh corn, red potatoes and a "good" steak with some summer ale.

Last night I set bread dough to rise...the fantastic brain bread that takes 18 hours or so to rise...for dinner tonight, along with cucumbers in vinegar, fresh summer squash from my mothers garden...and hot dogs probably, unless the husband thinks to take the chicken out of the freezer!  I'm also going to make a blueberry slump...warm blueberries in their own sauce over biscuits/dumpling type things and topped with whipped cream for dessert...mmmm! Later on, I'll do a quiet candle ritual to honor the season and reflect on the past season, and my daughter and I will make new corn dollies with the husks left from the corn the previous night. They will sit on the shelf of random pagany paraphernalia in my kitchen and watch over us until the spring.
A Happy Lammas to all...may all your harvests be plentiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment